Woman tackles blaze as supper goes up in smoke

PUBLISHED: 13:55 01 September 2008 | UPDATED: 13:34 06 May 2010

A BRAVE woman tackled a fire which broke out in her kitchen when she was cooking at the weekend. Firefighters were called to her home in Stanhope Road, St Albans, at around 8.15pm on Saturday when her cooking went up in flames. She had been heating oil in

A BRAVE woman tackled a fire which broke out in her kitchen when she was cooking at the weekend.

Firefighters were called to her home in Stanhope Road, St Albans, at around 8.15pm on Saturday when her cooking went up in flames. She had been heating oil in order to cook some frozen fish but when she added the fish, it started the fire.

The woman managed to put out the flames with a dry extinguisher before the arrival of firefighters.

Two crews from St Albans then ventilated her property and gave her some oxygen as she had inhaled a lot of smoke in tackling the fire.

Although a St Albans firefighter commended the woman's quick and brave reaction, he warned that people needed to be extremely careful in tackling fires because of the associated risks.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser