Woman Escapes London Colney Kitchen Fire

PUBLISHED: 11:07 30 October 2009 | UPDATED: 14:36 06 May 2010

A KITCHEN fire caused considerable damage to a London Colney property last night. The blaze broke out at around 9.30pm, when a chest fridge freezer in a Five Acres property caught alight. The woman inside the house, who was sitting in the living room ne

A KITCHEN fire caused considerable damage to a London Colney property last night.

The blaze broke out at around 9.30pm, when a chest fridge freezer in a Five Acres property caught alight.

The woman inside the house, who was sitting in the living room next door, only noticed the fire when she went to go into the kitchen, as her smoke alarm wasn't fitted with batteries.

Sean Costello, one of the fire fighters who attended the scene, said: "Luckily the woman escaped unhurt, but incidents such as these show how important it is to have working smoke alarms. They should be maintained on a regular basis.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser