Woman dies in St Albans flat fire
AN elderly woman has died after her flat caught on fire last night (Thursday). Firefighters rushed to St Augusta Court, off Batchwood View in St Albans, at around 7.30pm to find a fire in the lounge of the flat. It is believed the elderly woman could have
AN elderly woman died after her flat caught fire last night (Thursday).
Firefighters rushed to St Augusta Court, off Batchwood View in St Albans, at around 7.30pm to find a fire in the lounge of the flat.
It is believed the blaze could have been started by a cigarette but a fire investigation is underway to establish the exact cause.
The woman was pulled out of the fire and although she had shown signs of life, she was pronounced dead at the scene after paramedics were unable to revive her.
The blaze was contained to the lounge of the flat but 16 other residents had to be evacuated from the block. Crews had put out the blaze by 8.30pm.
Police investigated the incident and ruled out any suspicious circumstances.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 5 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 6 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 7 Green light given for St Albans City to hit the transfer market but patience is key says Allinson
- 8 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 9 MP condemns government over BBC threat
- 10 Town bank building given green light to split into three
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: "Sadly on our arrival, a woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this tragic time.”