Woman dies in St Albans flat fire
AN elderly woman has died after her flat caught on fire last night (Thursday). Firefighters rushed to St Augusta Court, off Batchwood View in St Albans, at around 7.30pm to find a fire in the lounge of the flat. It is believed the elderly woman could have
AN elderly woman died after her flat caught fire last night (Thursday).
Firefighters rushed to St Augusta Court, off Batchwood View in St Albans, at around 7.30pm to find a fire in the lounge of the flat.
It is believed the blaze could have been started by a cigarette but a fire investigation is underway to establish the exact cause.
The woman was pulled out of the fire and although she had shown signs of life, she was pronounced dead at the scene after paramedics were unable to revive her.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze was contained to the lounge of the flat but 16 other residents had to be evacuated from the block. Crews had put out the blaze by 8.30pm.
Police investigated the incident and ruled out any suspicious circumstances.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: "Sadly on our arrival, a woman was pronounced dead at the scene. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this tragic time.”