Woman dies in freak car accident
AN ELDERLY woman was killed today (Friday) when she was trapped under her car which is believed to have rolled backwards on top of her. It is thought that the 88-year-old victim might have been trying to inflate the car s tyres using an electric pump w
AN ELDERLY woman was killed today (Friday) when she was trapped under her car which is believed to have rolled backwards on top of her.
It is thought that the 88-year-old victim might have been trying to inflate the car's tyres using an electric pump when the freak accident happened at about 10.15am in Watford Road, Chiswell Green, St Albans.
Her son-in-law is believed to have been helping her with the pump which has to be attached to the cigarette lighter socket of the car in order to work.
District Commander Hugh Oram of the fire service, said: "We're not sure what happened as yet. We arrived to find the woman's body under the car and the electric pump standing next to it.
You may also want to watch:
"We had to lift the car off her body so the ambulance people could get to her but she had no pulse and was reported dead at the scene by a doctor."
One theory is that the woman may have switched on her engine while leaning into the car when it began to roll backwards trapping her under the wheel.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
Police have also attended the scene of the accident.