Woman dies in freak car accident
AN ELDERLY woman was killed today (Friday) when she was trapped under her car which is believed to have rolled backwards on top of her. It is thought that the 88-year-old victim might have been trying to inflate the car s tyres using an electric pump w
AN ELDERLY woman was killed today (Friday) when she was trapped under her car which is believed to have rolled backwards on top of her.
It is thought that the 88-year-old victim might have been trying to inflate the car's tyres using an electric pump when the freak accident happened at about 10.15am in Watford Road, Chiswell Green, St Albans.
Her son-in-law is believed to have been helping her with the pump which has to be attached to the cigarette lighter socket of the car in order to work.
District Commander Hugh Oram of the fire service, said: "We're not sure what happened as yet. We arrived to find the woman's body under the car and the electric pump standing next to it.
"We had to lift the car off her body so the ambulance people could get to her but she had no pulse and was reported dead at the scene by a doctor."
One theory is that the woman may have switched on her engine while leaning into the car when it began to roll backwards trapping her under the wheel.
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 4 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
Police have also attended the scene of the accident.