Woman braves the stage in St Albans production in aid of brain tumour charity
- Credit: Archant
A brave woman who was diagnosed with a brain tumour has raised money for charity by taking part in a Shakespeare production.
Vicki Harris, 52, a member of Breakaway Theatre Company, has helped raise more than £1,700 following a production of The Winter’s Tale at Inn on the Park, in Verulamium Park, St Albans.
Fifty per cent of the profits from the production were donated to The Brain Tumour Society, along with funds raised through a collection tin.
Vicki chose the charity after being diagnosed with a brain tumour at the beginning of the year. As a result of the tumour, she was told she could no longer drive and could not be left on her own. Vicki has since had surgery to remove all visible cancer but she has been told to expect that some cells have been left behind which will eventually re-grow.
Despite the exhaustion that Vicki experienced after the surgery, she was able to take part in the production and raise money for a cause close to her.
She said: “It was fantastic to be acting again, something I initially feared would be impossible.
“This is a very hard road to travel, with a future of disability and death guaranteed, although I have been very lucky with the location of my tumour.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 5 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
Jill Davies, who directed the production, added: “Vicki is a talented and much-loved member of Breakaway.
“Her bravery and determination are an inspiration to us all.
“We were proud to be able to show our support for her by making this donation to a very deserving cause.”