Woman braves the stage in St Albans production in aid of brain tumour charity
- Credit: Archant
A brave woman who was diagnosed with a brain tumour has raised money for charity by taking part in a Shakespeare production.
Vicki Harris, 52, a member of Breakaway Theatre Company, has helped raise more than £1,700 following a production of The Winter’s Tale at Inn on the Park, in Verulamium Park, St Albans.
Fifty per cent of the profits from the production were donated to The Brain Tumour Society, along with funds raised through a collection tin.
Vicki chose the charity after being diagnosed with a brain tumour at the beginning of the year. As a result of the tumour, she was told she could no longer drive and could not be left on her own. Vicki has since had surgery to remove all visible cancer but she has been told to expect that some cells have been left behind which will eventually re-grow.
Despite the exhaustion that Vicki experienced after the surgery, she was able to take part in the production and raise money for a cause close to her.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It was fantastic to be acting again, something I initially feared would be impossible.
“This is a very hard road to travel, with a future of disability and death guaranteed, although I have been very lucky with the location of my tumour.”
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
Jill Davies, who directed the production, added: “Vicki is a talented and much-loved member of Breakaway.
“Her bravery and determination are an inspiration to us all.
“We were proud to be able to show our support for her by making this donation to a very deserving cause.”