Woman, 88, dies in freak car accident
AN ELDERLY woman was killed on Friday when she was trapped under her car which is believed to have rolled backwards on top of her. It is thought that the 88-year-old victim might have been trying to inflate the car s tyres using an electric pump when the
AN ELDERLY woman was killed on Friday when she was trapped under her car which is believed to have rolled backwards on top of her.
It is thought that the 88-year-old victim might have been trying to inflate the car's tyres using an electric pump when the freak accident happened at about 10.15am in Watford Road, Chiswell Green, St Albans.
Her son-in-law is believed to have been helping her with the pump which had to be attached to the cigarette lighter socket of the car in order to work.
District Commander Hugh Oram of the fire service, said: "We're not sure what happened as yet. We arrived to find the woman's body under the car and the electric pump standing next to it.We had to lift the car off her body so the ambulance people could get to her but she had no pulse and was reported dead at the scene by a doctor."
You may also want to watch:
One theory is that the woman may have switched on the engine while leaning into the car when it began to roll backwards trapping her under the wheel.
Police have also attended the scene of the accident.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Highfield area of St Albans
An inquest has yet to be opened.