Wishing well donations from St Albans nursery boost funds for hospice
- Credit: Archant
Rinsing, drying and counting thousands of coins was not too onerous for staff at a local garden centre - because the cash was all for charity.
The coins were all thrown into a Christmas wishing well at at Aylett Nurseries Ltd on the North Orbital Road in St Albans which raised over £1,520 for The Hospice of St Francis, which cares for people in West Herts with life-limiting illnesses.
Instead of charging for a traditional Christmas grotto, Aylett’s always creates a Christmas display. In 2015 it mirrored the current baking trend by showcasing animated woodland creatures creating tasty Christmas delicacies in a festive Arctic Cake Factory.
Visitors were invited to give a charitable donation in appreciation of their visit - and they did in their thousands.
Julie Aylett, managing director of the nursery, commented, “We’ve been running a festive display for a number of years and for many local families it is a Christmas tradition to visit us during December. We were thrilled to receive so many coins in our wishing well and want to thank everyone who contributed.
You may also want to watch:
“We picked The Hospice of St Francis to be the recipient of the money because of their reputation locally. Everyone knows someone who’s been affected by a life-limiting illness and we wanted to ensure we did our bit for the hospice’s patients and their families.”
Corporate fundraising manager at the hospice, Carolyn Addison, added, “I’d like to thank the staff and visitors at Aylett’s for raising such a fantastic sum for the hospice in the run up to Christmas. The money raised will enable our nurses to provide valuable care for patients here at the Hospice, or in their own homes, and is so appreciated.”
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public