Why not pop into new St Albans church charity shop?
- Credit: Archant
Six churches have come together in the spirit of Christmas and set up a charity pop up shop in the city centre.
Cross Street Café at the Dagnall Street Baptist Church has been transformed into The Christmas Shop, which sells unique Fairtrade and Traidcraft gift items as well as cards and children’s books.
The shop, which opened on Monday, was put together by the six churches in a bid to raise money for charity.
The new shop will also host a drop off point for one of St Albans’ food banks which is facing an increased demand.
Local causes, such as Centre 33, Open Door, Bereavement Matters, Relate, The Living Room, and the St Albans and Hertsmere Woman’s Refuge will all benefit from the proceeds raised.
The Rev Simon Carver, minister at Dagnall Street Baptist Church, said: “The shop is a brilliant way to start your Christmas preparation.
“People can come in, enjoy a coffee and buy a great range of gifts and know that their purchases are not only helping fight poverty by giving fair earnings to the producers- but also making a real difference to local charities.”
- 1 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 2 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 3 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 4 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 5 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 6 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 7 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 8 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 9 Alex Lankshear goes pro after leaving St Albans City for a Championship side
- 10 'Summer holiday blues? Why I'm gloating about being child-free'
The six churches involved in the project are: Dagnall Street Baptist Church, St Peter’s Church, Marlborough Road Methodist Church, SS Alban and Stephen Roman Catholic Church, Trinity United Reformed Church, and The Salvation Army.
The shop will be open from 10am to, 2pm Monday to Saturday until December 20.