Westminster Lodge pool closed
- Credit: Archant
The largest of the two pools at Westminster Lodge leisure centre in St Albans has been closed due to health and safety concerns.
This is because a glass panel overlooking the pool hall has shattered and there are concerns others could break as well, causing glass to fall into the pool.
Everyone Active General Manager Lesley Garner said: “The Westminster Lodge main pool has been closed as a precaution while a panel of shattered glass outside the exercise studio which overlooks the pool is made safe.
“The glass shattered – but remained in its frame - around 9pm on Thursday, July 5. Workmen are currently on site to plan how to remove and replace the damaged panel as quickly and safely as possible.
“Our priority at this time is customer safety so we have closed the main pool until the work is complete. Our teaching pool remains open and members are welcome to use neighbouring Everyone Active pools at Hemel, Watford Central and Watford Woodside.
You may also want to watch:
“We will know more later this afternoon how long the repair work is likely to take and when the pool can re-open.
“I’m sorry for any inconvenience people may experience as a result of the pool closure and thank them for their patience while we complete this repair work swiftly and safely.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
“Meanwhile, we will give progress updates on our website and social media channels.”
The pool is likely to remain closed over the weekend.