Wheathamstead to become a global village for the day
THE world is coming to Wheathampstead for a major event celebrating the best of Hertfordshire business.
One of the county’s largest business to consumer events will be taking place in the village on Sunday June 12 from 11am-5pm, organised by the Wheathampstead for Enterprising Business (WEB) group.
Wheathampstead will become the centre of the world for one day, when large marquees on the Marford Road playing field will each adopt the flavour and culture of continents around the globe.
The free World comes to Wheathampstead event is an opportunity for visitors from across Hertfordshire to find out more about other countries, their cultures, food, wine, national costume, travel, music and dancing, travel and hotels, and even sample their food and drink.
There is an opportunity for all local businesses and social groups to exhibit to visitors from Hertfordshire and surrounding counties.
You may also want to watch:
Clare Farley, director of South and Eastern African travel firm 2by2 Holidays, said: “We have already filled seven marquees with small exhibition stands reserved from organisations in Africa, India and Europe. We are now looking for local firms in the travel business, airlines, travel books, restaurants, wine merchants, cameras, holiday clothing and other travel related businesses to take some of the remaining space. We have already sold over 70 per cent of our stand space by word of mouth!”
There will be something for all the family regardless of age including music, dancing groups, food and drink tasting, competitions and a lot more.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
Visitors will be able to see live demonstrations and dancing from Kenyan Masai Warriors, Zulu dancers and Sega dancers from Mauritius as well as attend talks on the Zulu wars and Boer War.
Radio Veralum will provide music and broadcast live all day and there will be a hot food area, a licensed bar and tea room.
There will be �12,000 worth of prizes up for grabs in free to enter competitions, with the top prize �5,000 worth of flights and travel to South Africa, including a trip on the most luxurious train in the world – the Rovos Railway and accommodation at five star hotels and game lodges.
Welwyn Land Rover is providing a free ‘off road’ Land Rover experience, and you could win a new Citroen C1 from Slip End Garage and help raise funds for Home Start the charity for families with children under five years.
The event is designed to raise funds for the benefit of the village and a range of local charities including the Wheathampstead Community Group, Grove House Hospice, Home Start, Living Hope, Games for Life and Reach Out Plus.
More information is on the remaining stand space is available from www.wheathampstead.org.uk or email@example.com