Wheathampstead woman sets up fundraising initiative to raise £3,000 for refugees in Kos
- Credit: Archant
After witnessing the refugee crisis in the Greek island of Kos, a young woman is keen to help by raising money for charities working on the ground in refugee camps.
Olivia Beach, 21, who lives in Wheathampstead, has set up the Kos Refugee Christmas Appeal and hopes to raise £3,000 for three charities which work with refugee camps in Greece.
She decided to set up the initiative after seeing in person the extent of the refugee crisis while on holiday in Kos in 2014.
The following year, Olivia sent more than 900 bags of essentials and Christmas gifts to refugees on the Island and aims to lend a hand again this Christmas.
She plans to split donations between Doctors of the World UK, a charity that provides medical assistance within the camps, Samos Volunteers, an organisation that offer emotional and educational support to refugees, and Kos Kindness, the charity which helped distribute Olivia’s bags of essentials last year.
You may also want to watch:
Local businesses have also pledged their support by donating prizes for the appeal’s online auction, including Notcutts Garden Centre, The Dressing Room and Aldwickbury Park Golf Club. In addition, Olivia is calling on people to get involved by donating prizes or running a cake sale.
She said: “The success of last year’s appeal was beyond my wildest dreams and having seen everyone’s enthusiasm and willingness to help, I am more motivated than ever to ensure this project continues to help refugees and ease the distress of their situation ever so slightly.
- 1 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 2 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 3 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 4 St Albans mum wins award for contribution to SEN
- 5 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 6 Church unveils new eco-garden to support wildlife in St Albans
- 7 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 8 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
“We can make a difference, and what seems like a small input from us means the world to people on the receiving end.”
To take part in the online auction or to donate, visit www.kosrefugeechristmasappeal.com.