Wheathampstead pensioners raise thousands for charity in golfing challenge
- Credit: Archant
A trio of golfing ‘birdies’ have raised over £3,300 for a local charity by completing a 54-hole golfing challenge in just 10 hours.
The threesome, Carole Tipple, Ann Nash and Diane Else who nicknamed themselves the Parkinson Close Pensioners, raised £2618 from donations for the challenge at the Mid Herts Golf Club in Wheathampstead with a further £700 from a raffle and cake sale.
Carole is the Lady Captain of the club and had chosen the disabled holiday charity the Jumbulance Trust as the beneficiary of her fundraising.
The golfing challenge was followed by a celebratory Indian-themed dining event at the club which was followed the raffle and cheque presentation.
Founding member of Jumbulance, Kathryn Salvesen, who was at the club to receive the cheque, said: “We’re so grateful for the generous funds raised by Mid-Herts Golf Club. This fantastic contribution will allow our volunteer helpers to take a group of 10 disabled and unwell people on a trip to the breathtaking Alpine region of Tyrol in Austria in September.
Members of Mid-Herts Golf Club have raised over £4,000 for the Jumbulance Trust since Carole took office in November 2014.
The charity enables disabled and unwell adults and children to take holidays and day trips, travelling in a specially-adapted coach.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 Caretakers of creation: church's work protecting environment
- 10 Area Guide: The busy Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead