Peaceful protest against racism organised in Wheathampstead
- Credit: Archant
A peaceful protest has been organised in Wheathampsted to stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement which is ongoing across the world.
Protests in the US have been ongoing since the death of George Floyd at the hands of law enforcement.
Now, Wheathampstead Against Racism is set to show its support for black communities both locally and across the world.
Wheathampstead Against Racism’s Facebook group has been set up by Kirsty Hamer to spread the word about the protest.
She said: “We hope to unite everyone in the village and come together to educate the members of the community that racism is unacceptable and unnecessary.
You may also want to watch:
“We have arranged a peaceful protest on Marford Field on Sunday at 2pm. Please feel free to come and stand with us!
“We hope to do many things in the community to stamp out racist behaviour and to show unity in our beautiful little village.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
The group’s mission statement reads: “We’re doing this to stand for black communities all over the world, to raise awareness and show our support. To show that we stand with them and we want to see change.
“Opening the eyes of those who think that just because they don’t hear about it or see it, that it doesn’t happen!
“We want better for our children. Manifest love and not hate. Teach equality.”
Those planning to attend are asked to please observe social distancing rules.