Wheathampstead fundraiser honoured as community hero
- Credit: Archant
A village do-gooder who helps “give something back” has been crowned an unsung community hero.
Colin Bower, a member of the Amwell Local Fundraisers in Wheathampstead, has been chosen as May’s winner of The Maltings Community Hero Awards for his volunteering efforts.
The team primarily help the disabled and needy in the village though extend their fundraising to all corners of the community, raising on average around £6,000 a year.
They hold monthly bingo evenings, arrange two annual trips and a Christmas party.
Colin said: “When I got the call to say I’d won I thought it was a bit of a con to be honest!
“It was only afterwards that my friend Ann Kent who had nominated me texted me to let me know.”
The group, which was founded over 20 years ago at The Elephant and Castle in Amwell Lane, Wheathampstead, will be hosting its annual Amwell Day at the pub on June 27, which Colin describes as a “fete with attitude”.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 10 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
Phil Corrigan, manager of The Maltings, said: “It’s really great to see this campaign growing, we have had such a good response to our second award.
“It’s quite humbling to meet people like Colin who dedicate so much of their time to helping those within our community who need it most and he certainly deserves the recognition that this award brings. Congratulations Colin, very well deserved!”