Wheathampstead fundraiser honoured as community hero
- Credit: Archant
A village do-gooder who helps “give something back” has been crowned an unsung community hero.
Colin Bower, a member of the Amwell Local Fundraisers in Wheathampstead, has been chosen as May’s winner of The Maltings Community Hero Awards for his volunteering efforts.
The team primarily help the disabled and needy in the village though extend their fundraising to all corners of the community, raising on average around £6,000 a year.
They hold monthly bingo evenings, arrange two annual trips and a Christmas party.
Colin said: “When I got the call to say I’d won I thought it was a bit of a con to be honest!
You may also want to watch:
“It was only afterwards that my friend Ann Kent who had nominated me texted me to let me know.”
The group, which was founded over 20 years ago at The Elephant and Castle in Amwell Lane, Wheathampstead, will be hosting its annual Amwell Day at the pub on June 27, which Colin describes as a “fete with attitude”.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 5 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 6 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 7 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 8 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 Look! Sneak peek inside Harpenden's new Eric Morecambe Centre
Phil Corrigan, manager of The Maltings, said: “It’s really great to see this campaign growing, we have had such a good response to our second award.
“It’s quite humbling to meet people like Colin who dedicate so much of their time to helping those within our community who need it most and he certainly deserves the recognition that this award brings. Congratulations Colin, very well deserved!”