Wheathampstead couple who run granola company from their kitchen shortlisted for national award
- Credit: Archant
A man and woman operating a cereal business from their family kitchen have been shortlisted for a national award.
Robin Longden, 58, and his partner Sue, 57, of Lime Avenue, Blackmore End, were in America when they discovered ‘healthy’ granola, and were disappointed that there wasn’t an option available in the UK.
Robin said: “We were motivated to start the business because we could not get good quality granola after trying it when we were in Boston. We found that the product, if made properly, was really healthy as well as tasting great.
“We thought if no one else is making a granola full of nuts, maybe we should.”
The business, named Rollagranola, started in 2014 and is currently made in the family kitchen.
You may also want to watch:
Robin said: “It’s made at home, currently taking over half the house at the moment, getting loads of help from the family.”
The granola is currently only stocked locally, in the Harpenden Parker and Vine delicatessen which Sue runs, and in various other shops across Hertfordshire.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 3 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 4 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 5 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 6 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 7 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
It has recently been shortlisted in the Freefrom Food Awards, which celebrates the best in gluten, dairy and nut free foods.
The finals will take place on April 26 at the Royal College of Physicians in Regents Park, and Rollagranola will be judged by up to 70 manufacturers, chefs, writers, nutritionists, dieticians and consumers.
Robin, father to Bryony, 26, Sean, 24, and Daisy, 22, added: “We are tremendously honoured to be shortlisted for such an important industry awards. We pride ourselves on healthy, tasty, nutritious products, using high levels of nuts, seeds, and fruit packed full of fibre, energy and rich flavour. We work extremely hard to ensure that only the best ingredients are used.”
For your nearest stocklist click here.