Wheathampstead couple celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A Wheathampstead couple celebrating their diamond wedding anniversary are thrilled to have received a card from Her Majesty The Queen.
Rose Smith was just 17 when she met newly demobbed Gurkha soldier Bob Morgan on a blind date in London about 60 years ago.
Instantly hitting it off, 22-year-old Bob used to take Rose out in his new black car, making sure to bring her home to her mother before 8pm. After four months courting they got engaged and are now celebrating six decades of happy marriage.
They have lived in Wheathampstead for the last 15 years and received The Queen’s congratulatory card on August 2.
Bob said: “She’s a great wife and we have a good marriage, she’s looked after me for all these years. We have had our ups and downs but life carries on and I have enjoyed our marriage.”
You may also want to watch:
The couple lost one of their three daughters, cared for Rose’s mother in a wheelchair, and battled Bob’s cancer.
Now 79-year-old Rose and 82-year-old Bob have ten grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 7 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
Rose added: “Bob is very stubborn, believe me, he ruled the roast, but I am a very strong woman and the way we struggled through with honesty and friendship is how we stayed married for so long.”