Wheathampstead caravan cleared after being destroyed in explosion
PUBLISHED: 15:18 13 April 2017 | UPDATED: 15:21 13 April 2017
The wreckage of a caravan destroyed in a suspected explosion in Wheathampstead has been cleared.
Three fire crews were called out around 11pm last night (April 12) to put out the blaze on Down Green Lane.
They succeeded in extinguishing the fire just after midnight, not before the caravan had been reduced to ash.
Ringway divisional manager, Kevin Carrol, said: “We were called to the site at 1:30am, after the caravan fire had been extinguished.
“The crew made the area safe by removing any debris from the carriageway, and coned the area off.”
They have now passed it on to St Albans district council to remove remaining debris.
Local resident Andrew Grant, who lives nearby and who first reported the explosion, said the 30-metre access road the caravan was parked on is an “invitation for fly-tipping”.
He says he has received little to no feedback from local authorities, accusing them of “not taking any notice of ten neighbours”.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.