Wheathampstead actor, 11, shows that drama talent in “The Bodyguard” is not just a stunt
- Credit: Photo by Paul Coltas
A few decades ago, actor Mark Fincham was putting his limbs on the line as a stuntman in movies including American Ninja 2: The Confrontation.
Now, his 11 year old son is following in his footsteps – albeit in a gentler and safer way – in a hit musical being performed in London’s West End.
Wheathampstead boy Max Fincham is appearing in The Bodyguard at the Dominion theatre with Beverley Knight.
But if you want to see him in action you will need to be quick as the season ends on January 7 next year.
Beverley Knight, aka the ‘Queen of British Soul’, has been playing Oscar-nominated superstar Rachel Marron with Ben Richards as Frank Farmer, Marron’s bodyguard.
You may also want to watch:
Max has been alternating the role of Fletcher, Rachel Marron’s young son, with three other actors.
His father said: “He loves working with Beverley Knight.”
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 3 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 7 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 8 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 9 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 10 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
He said that Max was taken to his performances after school, and “the crew and cast are like a family.”
Max also performed all around the UK in The Bodyguard Tour 2015 with former X Factor winner Alexandra Burke.
He is currently acting four times a week and is on standby alternate weeks in the West End show.
Apparently the young villager ‘quickly’ picked up an American accent for his role.
Max, who has received rave reviews for his acting, singing and dancing, is a pupil at St George’s School and Stagecoach, which provides drama, dance and singing lessons in Harpenden.
He showed an interest in performing from an early age, and has previously been placed in a couple of small advertisements.
Acting appears to be in the blood, as his father appeared in movies as a stuntman, including as Peter Fonda’s stunt double in 1988 movie Mercenary Fighters.
However, Mark said, “I did suggest to Max that he didn’t do any stunts, and I’m happy for him not to do stuntwork.”
Mark praised Max’s mum, Lina, who, although not theatrical, has encouraged and supported “all of this and has been a huge factor in Max getting to the West End”.
The family moved to Wheathampstead about a decade ago for the “good schools in the district,” he added.