Whathampstead couple’s Help for Heroes cycle effort
DEDICATED fundraisers from Wheathampstead are getting back on their bikes to raise money for Help for Heroes just months after completing a 350-mile trek for the charity.
Andrew and Heather Waterfield of Lamer Lane will complete another 350-mile trek on their bikes alongside servicemen and women who have been injured in combat.
The couple, who have been married for 30 years, completed the challenging Bridge too Far bike ride last year and raised over �10,000.
The ride from Brussels to Arnhem last September was 350 miles over a six-day period and the fighting fit duo completed the “humbling” trek on a tandem.
Nurse Heather and her surgeon husband Andrew are regular fundraisers for the charity which is of particular significance to them as they have two sons who are officers in the British Army and a daughter who is currently at Sandhurst.
Departing from Portsmouth on June 5, the Big Battlefield Ride will take in some of the most significant WWII battle sites in France and Heather predicts it will be just as emotionally charged as the last one.
She said: “There is never a second to complain about how exhausting it is because you’re surrounded by inspirational people all overcoming their injuries to pay their respects to the fallen and raise much needed funds for those injured in combat. It’s a privilege to ride alongside them.
- 1 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 2 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 5 Red Door Recruitment share tips to help you land your dream job as they celebrate 15 years in business
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
“We really want to thank everyone who has supported us.”
To support the couple and donate to Help for Heroes, visit www.bmycharity.com/andrewandheatherwaterfield