Whathampstead couple’s Help for Heroes cycle effort
DEDICATED fundraisers from Wheathampstead are getting back on their bikes to raise money for Help for Heroes just months after completing a 350-mile trek for the charity.
Andrew and Heather Waterfield of Lamer Lane will complete another 350-mile trek on their bikes alongside servicemen and women who have been injured in combat.
The couple, who have been married for 30 years, completed the challenging Bridge too Far bike ride last year and raised over �10,000.
The ride from Brussels to Arnhem last September was 350 miles over a six-day period and the fighting fit duo completed the “humbling” trek on a tandem.
Nurse Heather and her surgeon husband Andrew are regular fundraisers for the charity which is of particular significance to them as they have two sons who are officers in the British Army and a daughter who is currently at Sandhurst.
You may also want to watch:
Departing from Portsmouth on June 5, the Big Battlefield Ride will take in some of the most significant WWII battle sites in France and Heather predicts it will be just as emotionally charged as the last one.
She said: “There is never a second to complain about how exhausting it is because you’re surrounded by inspirational people all overcoming their injuries to pay their respects to the fallen and raise much needed funds for those injured in combat. It’s a privilege to ride alongside them.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 8 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 9 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
“We really want to thank everyone who has supported us.”
To support the couple and donate to Help for Heroes, visit www.bmycharity.com/andrewandheatherwaterfield