What will St Albans rail freight depot mean to you?
- Credit: Archant
An information meeting for local residents about plans for a rail freight depot at Park Street is being held early next month.
It has been organised by SOS - Save Our St-Albans - to update residents about the battle to prevent a Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) being built on the former Radlett Airfield.
St Albans council is still in the process of pursuing legal action over the decision by former Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles, to grant planning permission to Helioslough to build an SRFI.
Should that fail, the ball will be in the court of Herts county council which owns a large part of the site and would have to decide whether or not to sell it to Helioslough.
Andy Love, of SOS, said: “Residents’ well-being appears to have been of a low priority throughout the process – SRFI in a city and district with a population in excess of 140,000 – we feel this is irresponsible.”
You may also want to watch:
He said there were numerous issues that affected residents including pollution, traffic congestion, the impact on house prices, the future expansion of the road network, the construction period and the likely disruption to the Midland Mainline and the Thameslink line.
The meeting is open to all and is being held at 7.45pm on Thursday, July 9, at Orton Hall in Greenwood Park, Chiswell Green. The local action group STRiFE - Stop The Rail Freight Exchange - will be represented.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 6 St Albans City get the FA Cup train moving with replay success over Concord
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 No cars mean children can play out in streets
Questions for the meeting should be sent in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org and a selection will be discussed on the night.