What will St Albans rail freight depot mean to you?
- Credit: Archant
An information meeting for local residents about plans for a rail freight depot at Park Street is being held early next month.
It has been organised by SOS - Save Our St-Albans - to update residents about the battle to prevent a Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) being built on the former Radlett Airfield.
St Albans council is still in the process of pursuing legal action over the decision by former Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Eric Pickles, to grant planning permission to Helioslough to build an SRFI.
Should that fail, the ball will be in the court of Herts county council which owns a large part of the site and would have to decide whether or not to sell it to Helioslough.
Andy Love, of SOS, said: “Residents’ well-being appears to have been of a low priority throughout the process – SRFI in a city and district with a population in excess of 140,000 – we feel this is irresponsible.”
You may also want to watch:
He said there were numerous issues that affected residents including pollution, traffic congestion, the impact on house prices, the future expansion of the road network, the construction period and the likely disruption to the Midland Mainline and the Thameslink line.
The meeting is open to all and is being held at 7.45pm on Thursday, July 9, at Orton Hall in Greenwood Park, Chiswell Green. The local action group STRiFE - Stop The Rail Freight Exchange - will be represented.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Charity founder cancels Channel swim after suffering long Covid
Questions for the meeting should be sent in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org and a selection will be discussed on the night.