Pilot dies after crashing his microlight near St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A microlight pilot has died after crashing his craft near Chiswell Green on Saturday.
East of England Ambulance Service was called at 12.29pm to a crash near Chiswell Green Lane.
A rapid response vehicle, a unit from the hazardous area response team, and the air ambulance were dispatched.
Herts police were called by the ambulance service to the scene.
It is believed the microlight crashed right after takeoff. The pilot was the only person on board.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the Air Accidents Investigation Branch said: “The Air Accidents Investigation Branch was notified of the accident at around lunchtime on Saturday and accident investigators were on site later the same day to examine the wreckage of the aircraft and to commence a field investigation looking at all aspects of the aircraft’s operation.
“This week, we expect to recover the aircraft wreckage to our facility at Farnborough for more detailed examination.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 9 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 10 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
“The AAIB investigation will take some time and an accident report will be released in due course.”