What are the best pubs in St Albans?
- Credit: Archant
As the pleasant British summer evenings come rolling in, so too does the appetite for a visit to a pub for a meal and a drink. Here are some of the best pubs to visit in St Albans.
Waterend Barn - whether it’s the inviting atmosphere or the lofty rafters and roaring fireplace, The Waterend Barn attracts young and old alike, is well placed for The Arena and is part of the popular national Wetherspoons chain.
The Cock Inn - this historic pub with a modern feel dates back to the 17th century and takes a great deal of pride in its continuously changing variety of craft beers sourced from independent micro-breweries.
The King Harry - located in King Harry Lane, this dog-friendly family pub boasts a great beer garden, glorious Sunday roasts and all manner of goodness.
The Hare and Hounds - this historic pub is Grade II listed, since it dates back to the 17th century at leats but still offers a quality pub experience.
You may also want to watch:
The Six Bells - placed just up the road from the northern side of Verulamium park lake, this dog-friendly pub offers ideal grub after a walk around the park.
The Mermaid - the beloved Mermaid comes highly recommended by those in the know, with a homely atmosphere, great ale on offer and occasional live music.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Great Northern Restaurant and Pub - conveniently located for the Odyssey cinema, this pub distinguishes itself with an offering of more than just conventional pub grub.
The White Hart Tap - a great local pub with drinks and food to match, complete with an outdoor garden, which is perfect for summer nights.
Dylans The Kings Arms - this quirky gastropub comes with a high pedigree, having won “Best Restaurant” and “Best Bar” in the St Albans & Harpenden Food & Drinks Award 2016.
Ye Olde Fighting Cocks - the oldest inhabited licensed house in England is surely worth a look in, boasting over 1,000 years of history, including possibly once hosting Oliver Cromwell for a night during the Civil War of 1642-1651.