St Albans fitness centre joining English Channel swimming challenge
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans fitness centre is challenging everyone to swim the length of the English Channel for charity.
Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre is about to launch the Channel Swim Challenge in aid of Aspire, a charity for people with spinal chord injuries.
Sponsored participants have 12 weeks to swim 22 miles at the 25m swimming pool on Holywell Hill.
Jacqui Tillman, head of swimming at Everyone Active - which operates Westminster Lodge along with St Albans district council, said: “The work that the team at Aspire carry out is fantastic and we are delighted to be supporting them.
“The Channel Swim Challenge is a fantastic way for people to raise money for a great cause while also improving their own health and wellbeing by getting active. I would encourage as many people as possible to get involved.”
You may also want to watch:
Last year participants around the UK raised £625,000 for Aspire.
Event manager for the fund raiser, Kathryn Boyd, said: “Aspire Channel Swimmers truly are amazing.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 10 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
“Fewer people have swum the channel than conquered Everest, yet every year thousands of people take on 22 miles over 12 weeks in pools across the country.
“It’s an incredible achievement and one that helps support hundreds of spinal cord injured people every year.”
The challenge will run from September 10 to December 3. Sign up at www.everyoneactive.com/AspireSwim