St Albans fitness centre joining English Channel swimming challenge
- Credit: Archant
A St Albans fitness centre is challenging everyone to swim the length of the English Channel for charity.
Westminster Lodge Leisure Centre is about to launch the Channel Swim Challenge in aid of Aspire, a charity for people with spinal chord injuries.
Sponsored participants have 12 weeks to swim 22 miles at the 25m swimming pool on Holywell Hill.
Jacqui Tillman, head of swimming at Everyone Active - which operates Westminster Lodge along with St Albans district council, said: “The work that the team at Aspire carry out is fantastic and we are delighted to be supporting them.
“The Channel Swim Challenge is a fantastic way for people to raise money for a great cause while also improving their own health and wellbeing by getting active. I would encourage as many people as possible to get involved.”
Last year participants around the UK raised £625,000 for Aspire.
Event manager for the fund raiser, Kathryn Boyd, said: “Aspire Channel Swimmers truly are amazing.
- 1 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 2 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 3 Man wanted for criminal damage at The Horn pub
- 4 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 5 Restaurant review: Christmas at The Ivy in St Albans
- 6 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 7 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 8 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 9 St Albans city centre road closures reduce spaces for Blue Badge holders
- 10 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
“Fewer people have swum the channel than conquered Everest, yet every year thousands of people take on 22 miles over 12 weeks in pools across the country.
“It’s an incredible achievement and one that helps support hundreds of spinal cord injured people every year.”
The challenge will run from September 10 to December 3. Sign up at www.everyoneactive.com/AspireSwim