Wedding of William and Kate celebrated across St Albans district
More Royal Wedding photos
CELEBRATIONS took place across the district to mark the Royal Wedding last week.
More than 60 street parties and numerous other garden parties took place in and around St Albans and Harpenden on the day of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding – outdoing all other areas in Herts and the majority of the country for Royal Wedding spirit.
At New Greens Residents Club, which held a party with an endless list of activities in partnership with Christ Church, youth and community worker Martin Podmore – known as Pod – undertook a charity head shave.
In Prae Close, St Michael’s Village, festivities included a balloon race and one was later found by a girl at a street party 40 miles away in Tadley, Hampshire, around an hour and a half later.
Meanwhile, in Pennycroft, Harpenden, a street party with more than 200 guests kicked off late in the afternoon with children’s entertainment followed by a band performance into the night.
More than �500 was raised for Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) in memory of organiser Brian Turberville’s seven-year-old granddaughter Hannah who died suddenly in 2007.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 3 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time
In the run up to the Royal Wedding, schools and nurseries across the district also held their own Royal Wedding parties and on Thursday the Abbey Primary School staged a mock wedding at St Albans Abbey conducted by sub dean Rev Canon Stephen Lake. It was followed by a wedding breakfast for the children back at the school.