Wedding of William and Kate celebrated across St Albans district
More Royal Wedding photos
CELEBRATIONS took place across the district to mark the Royal Wedding last week.
More than 60 street parties and numerous other garden parties took place in and around St Albans and Harpenden on the day of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s wedding – outdoing all other areas in Herts and the majority of the country for Royal Wedding spirit.
At New Greens Residents Club, which held a party with an endless list of activities in partnership with Christ Church, youth and community worker Martin Podmore – known as Pod – undertook a charity head shave.
In Prae Close, St Michael’s Village, festivities included a balloon race and one was later found by a girl at a street party 40 miles away in Tadley, Hampshire, around an hour and a half later.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, in Pennycroft, Harpenden, a street party with more than 200 guests kicked off late in the afternoon with children’s entertainment followed by a band performance into the night.
More than �500 was raised for Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) in memory of organiser Brian Turberville’s seven-year-old granddaughter Hannah who died suddenly in 2007.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
In the run up to the Royal Wedding, schools and nurseries across the district also held their own Royal Wedding parties and on Thursday the Abbey Primary School staged a mock wedding at St Albans Abbey conducted by sub dean Rev Canon Stephen Lake. It was followed by a wedding breakfast for the children back at the school.