Heatwave warning as high temperatures continue in St Albans
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
THE Met Office has issued a heatwave alert for the region.
This means there is a 90 per cent probability of heatwave conditions between now and 9pm tomorrow.
A statement said: “High temperatures are expected to continue across much of England over the next few days. Temperatures are expected to reach or come very close to Level 3 Heat Health Watch criteria in London and south east England. Elsewhere temperatures may come close to criteria, however certainty is lower, giving a Level 2 Heat Health Watch in all but the north east and north west of England.
“Heatwaves can be dangerous, especially for the very young, very old or those with chronic diseases. If you want more information about hot weather and your health please visit www.nhs.uk. If you are concerned about your health or somebody you care for, please contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647, www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk or your local pharmacist.”
• The hottest temperature ever recorded in the UK was 38.5C in Faversham, Kent on August 10, 2003;
You may also want to watch:
• The average maximum temperature for July is 20.9C in England;
• 2011 was the coldest summer since 1993;
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 6 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
- 10 Vote for your favourite restaurant in Chamber of Commerce poll
• 1976 is the hottest summer on record with temperatures of 26.7C or higher every day between June 22 and July 16;
• Today the mercury is set to hit 28C in Ibiza and 27C in Los Angeles;
• 20C is the hottest it is likely to get in Sydney over the next 24 hours but they are at the start of their winter.