Watford Hospital becomes heart-attack centre for St Albans district
THE opening of two new laboratories in the Acute Admission Unit of Watford General Hospital has resulted in it being designated as the Heart Attack Centre for West Herts. The two cardiac catheterisation labs offer a treatment for heart attack patients cal
THE opening of two new laboratories in the Acute Admission Unit of Watford General Hospital has resulted in it being designated as the Heart Attack Centre for West Herts.
The two cardiac catheterisation labs offer a treatment for heart attack patients called primary angioplasty which can significantly enhance the chances of survival following a heart attack.
It works by opening a blocked artery which then restores blood flow to the heart muscle.
Dr Mike van der Watt, lead cardiologist for the West Herts Hospitals Trust, said: "We are absolutely delighted to be chosen as a designated Heart Attack Centre for West Herts.
You may also want to watch:
"Primary angioplasty is a modern, very effective, treatment for heart attacks which we have been using in our trust for some time. When someone has a heart attack it means that an artery supplying blood to the heart has become blocked.
"The more quickly blood flow can be restored means the more heart muscle we can save and the less chance there is of the patient dying."
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Primary angioplasty is available during the day time on weekdays at Watford General. Outside of those hours, patients will receive the treatment at Harefield Hospital.