Wasps nest fire spread to two bungalows

A BUILDER S gas torch is thought to have started a roof fire in two properties in Wheathampstead yesterday (Monday). The two semi-detached bungalows in Castle Rise caught alight just before 2.30pm following work on the roof of one of the properties. It i

A BUILDER'S gas torch is thought to have started a roof fire in two properties in Wheathampstead yesterday (Monday).

The two semi-detached bungalows in Castle Rise caught alight just before 2.30pm following work on the roof of one of the properties.

It is thought that the fire might have started as a result of the blow torch accidently setting a wasps' nest alight and it spread through the adjacent roof.

The occupants of both properties managed to escape without any injuries and a team of firefighters spent two hours tackling the flames.


You may also want to watch:


Watch commander Paul Farrow said that the rooms below the roof were left largely undamaged by the fire.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter