Wasps nest fire spread to two bungalows

PUBLISHED: 13:26 03 March 2009 | UPDATED: 13:57 06 May 2010

A BUILDER S gas torch is thought to have started a roof fire in two properties in Wheathampstead yesterday (Monday). The two semi-detached bungalows in Castle Rise caught alight just before 2.30pm following work on the roof of one of the properties. It i

A BUILDER'S gas torch is thought to have started a roof fire in two properties in Wheathampstead yesterday (Monday).

The two semi-detached bungalows in Castle Rise caught alight just before 2.30pm following work on the roof of one of the properties.

It is thought that the fire might have started as a result of the blow torch accidently setting a wasps' nest alight and it spread through the adjacent roof.

The occupants of both properties managed to escape without any injuries and a team of firefighters spent two hours tackling the flames.

Watch commander Paul Farrow said that the rooms below the roof were left largely undamaged by the fire.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser