Walk through Harpenden honours fallen war hero
A GOLDEN mile through Harpenden will mark the last stretch of a 10-day walk in memory of a soldier who was killed in Afghanistan. A procession of sponsored walkers will be passing through Harpenden as part of the 150-mile All the 4s trek, a 10-day maratho
A GOLDEN mile through Harpenden will mark the last stretch of a 10-day walk in memory of a soldier who was killed in Afghanistan.
A procession of sponsored walkers will be passing through Harpenden as part of the 150-mile All the 4s trek, a 10-day marathon organised by a mother whose soldier son died whilst fighting against the Taliban in 2007.
To commemorate the death of her Corporal Darren Bonner of the 1 Royal Anglian brigade, Christine Bonner is leading the sponsored walk from August 14-23 to help raise money for The Royal Anglian Regiment Benevolent Charity.
The group, which set off from North Lincolnshire on Friday, will be walking on country roads but in order to increase their fundraising en route, they will walk a Golden Mile through the closest town at the end of each stretch.
You may also want to watch:
On Friday, the day before All the 4s embark on the last leg of their journey to Hertford, the walkers will proceed through Harpenden starting at Douglas Road and finishing at the Town Hall accompanied by Mayor Cllr Rosemary Farmer.
Royal Anglican area secretary for Beds, Herts and Essex, Major Tony Jones, who will be walking the Harpenden Golden Mile, said: "Our golden miles give us the chance to do a bit of bucket-shaking so that we raise as much money as possible. Spreading the All the 4s message - 4 the boys, 4 the families, 4 the fallen, 4ever - is also very important."
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
All the 4s will be passing through Harpenden at 4.30pm and to find out more about the walk or to make an online donation, visit www.allthe4s.co.uk