Volunteers dig in to revamp St Albans playing field
- Credit: Archant
Volunteers have given a taste of what is to come after completing the first phase of work to enhance a popular playing field.
A team of volunteers from the county council’s Countryside Management Service (CMS) together with corporate volunteers from the Herts-based Mace Group planted a new native hedgerow of shrubs including hawthorn, hazel and guelder rose along the boundary of Victoria Playing Field in St Albans.
Planting the shrubs, which were chosen because they would provide food for local wildlife, is the start of a much larger project which will see the play area replaced and upgraded next year.
Earlier last month CMS also arranged a bulb planting event with local families helping to plant more than 5,000 bulbs in a day.
The work is supported by the district council using developer contributions and funding from local ward budgets and has been backed by a successful crowd-funding campaign led by a local community group, the Friends of Victoria Playing Field.
You may also want to watch:
Their campaign raised £26,000 from local people and businesses, which will go towards the work.
Teresa Heritage, the county council’s cabinet member for public health, localism and libraries, said: “This is a fantastic example of a community contributing their time, skills and enthusiasm to help enhance their local area. I’d like to thank CMS for its valuable role in coordinating and supporting the voluntary groups involved.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 4 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 5 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 6 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 9 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire