Sandridge marks the 75th VJ Day anniversary
- Credit: Archant
The 75th anniversary of Victory in Japan has been commemmorated in Sandridge with a wreath laying ceremony at Jersey Farm Woodland Park.
Saturday marked the 75th anniversary of Japan’s announcement of unconditional surrender in WWII in 1945.
Sandridge parish councillor Claudio Durán said: “I want to thank Sandridge Parish Council for organising the VJ Remembrance day on Saturday.
“The heavy rain did not deter the St Albans Mayor, Sandridge Parish Councillors and residents from attending the event.
“The VE day commemorates the victory over Europe, but the heavy fight continued in the Far East until the August 15, 1945.
You may also want to watch:
“It saddens us to know that until recently, we used to have veterans attending this remembrance day at Woodland Park, but they are sadly no longer with us.
“Their absence should not be a reason to stop remembering those who gave so much for us today. As you walk past the memorial in Woodland Park, turn your mind for a few minutes and thank those young soldiers and their families for the ultimate sacrifice they pay for our freedom today.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 10 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order