Sandridge marks the 75th VJ Day anniversary
- Credit: Archant
The 75th anniversary of Victory in Japan has been commemmorated in Sandridge with a wreath laying ceremony at Jersey Farm Woodland Park.
Saturday marked the 75th anniversary of Japan’s announcement of unconditional surrender in WWII in 1945.
Sandridge parish councillor Claudio Durán said: “I want to thank Sandridge Parish Council for organising the VJ Remembrance day on Saturday.
“The heavy rain did not deter the St Albans Mayor, Sandridge Parish Councillors and residents from attending the event.
“The VE day commemorates the victory over Europe, but the heavy fight continued in the Far East until the August 15, 1945.
You may also want to watch:
“It saddens us to know that until recently, we used to have veterans attending this remembrance day at Woodland Park, but they are sadly no longer with us.
“Their absence should not be a reason to stop remembering those who gave so much for us today. As you walk past the memorial in Woodland Park, turn your mind for a few minutes and thank those young soldiers and their families for the ultimate sacrifice they pay for our freedom today.”
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 Harpenden great-grandad celebrates 100th birthday