Video plea to help nurse shortages at St Albans hospice
- Credit: Archant
A video plea released by a charity hospice explains its “desperate need” for new nurses to meet growing demand of their services.
Rennie Grove Hospice Care has launched this digital campaign, called Desperately Seeking Sam, to raise awareness and funds for their 24/7 patient service and ever lengthening waiting lists.
The two-minute video features an interview with someone helped by the hospice, David Beck – his wife, Linda, became a patient there when her cancer became terminal.
He remembers how important it was, to both Linda and himself, that the nurses help her die at home: “They went the extra mile and more, always.
“It wouldn’t matter what time of the day or night it was, 24 hours a day. If I phoned Rennie Grove, they came out and saw us and looked after Linda.
You may also want to watch:
“There was no circumstance where they could have done any more than they did. They were amazing.”
Director of nursing and clinical services at Rennie Grove, Sue Varvel, said: “[The character of] Sam represents the sort of nurse who would make an excellent Rennie Grove employee.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
“He or she will not only be a highly skilled palliative care nurse but would also have extra qualities that set her or him apart as a Rennie Grove nurse: a kind-hearted, empathic but practical person who goes the extra mile to ensure patients have the best possible quality of life up until and during their final days.”
She encouraged people to watch and share the film.
To donate and help Rennie Grove find more nurses, visit www.renniegrove.org/desperatelyseekingsam and use the hashtag #desperatelyseekingsam on social media.