Video of St Albans man being racially abused post-Brexit goes viral
- Credit: Archant
A video of a man being racially abused post-Brexit went viral after he posted it to his half a million social media followers.
Naz Rahman, also known as Naz Izi, 29. of St Albans, was parking his car in Knebworth recently when an angry driver who wanted to park in the same space approached him.
The video, filmed by Naz’s passenger, shows Naz becoming agitated after the man allegedly referred to him as ‘one of them’.
The film, which has been edited down, begins with Naz asking the alleged racist to repeat himself, and then cuts to the man telling Naz “You’re taking our jobs, man.”
Naz, who was born and brought up in the UK and whose grandparents hail from Bangladesh, then asked the man what a parking space has to do with the EU after he allegedly referred to Brexit.
Naz repeatedly adds: “What’s that got to do with me?” and goes on to say “You want us out of the EU, because people are taking your jobs?” to which the man responds “Yes mate. You’re taking our jobs so we have nothing to live for.”
Naz asks the man whether he ‘signs on’ and then asks him why he “doesn’t go and get a job” and the man responds “Why don’t you get out my country? We don’t want you here, bruv” and calls Naz a racial insult.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 4 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 5 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 8 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 9 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 10 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
Naz told the Herts Advertiser: “I was born here and lived here my whole life and I’ve never experienced racism while living here.
“I was completely shocked. You hear about it but I never thought it would happen to me.
“I’m very good at standing up for myself but what makes me angry is when I think about my mother or my sister, they wouldn’t stand up for themselves.”
Naz said that he alerted the police following the incident but they are yet to track down the man, who cannot be identified from the video.
If you would like to watch the video in full click here.