Video: Everitt goal sees off Maidenhead

St Albans City 1 (Adam Everitt 75) Maidenhead United 0 James Ronayne at Clarence Park ADAM Everitt s 75th minute header was enough for St Albans City to take all three points from a hard fought clash with Maidenhead United. The game was a real battle an

St Albans City 1 (Adam Everitt 75)

Maidenhead United 0

James Ronayne at Clarence Park

ADAM Everitt's 75th minute header was enough for St Albans City to take all three points from a hard fought clash with Maidenhead United.

You may also want to watch:

The game was a real battle and at times it wasn't pretty. That said City were good value for their win and played some good football in patches.

It is no coincidence that City's return to winning ways in the last two games has coincided with the return to form of Solomon Shields. In the first half particularly the young midfielder was at his marauding best as well as helping out his defence.

Most Read

Steve Castle's side received a blow before kick off with the news that Saturday's two goal hero Ian Dunn was unavailable through illness while skipper Ryan Frater sat the game out with badly bruised ribs.

In came James Lindie for his first start and Everitt who took over the armband in Frater's absence.

Lindie has spent six months on the sidelines with a horrific ankle break and that long layoff may be the reason he was a little rusty in front of goal. The former Southend youngster had his first chance inside 60 seconds heading James Fisher's cross over from 10 yards out.

Fisher's runs down the right were productive and the former Northwood man's effort off the outside of his boot from 25 yards had Tardiff back-pedalling to save.

Shields was dominant in midfield and only a heavy final touch stopped him completing a beautiful passing move for the Saints. The former Orient midfielder started the move in midfield switching the ball to Beecroft. He slipped it inside for Lindie whose deft touch saw the ball fall at the feet of Shields who had continued his run but a heavy touch allowed Tardiff to collect the ball.

A lame goalkick by Tardiff saw the ball fall at Paul Hakim's feet. He raced in on goal but Tardiff atoned for his error with a smart save low down.

City didn't want the half time break to come such was the pressure they were building, but credit to Castle's troops who carried on where they left off with Fisher's cross facing Mark Nisbet to hack over his own bar.

A rare Maidenhead foray into City territory saw Alex Wall cross for Sam Collins but his effort from the edge of the box looped harmlessly over Bastock's bar.

City should have taken the lead when Lindie was found free in the box but he was foiled by Tardiff. Beecroft's cross was cleared only as far as Roberts whose volley was deflected into Lindie's path. With only the goalkeeper to beat the City forward shot straight at Tardiff and Maidenhead were able to clear at the expense of a corner.

The Saints certainly felt they should have had a penalty when Fisher's cross struck Nisbet on the arm but referee Paul Forrester waved away the protests. In the following move Beecroft saw his drive tipped around the post.

The winning goal came 15 minutes from time from a free kick won by Poku out on the City right. Peter Smith swung over a delightful ball and Everitt was on hand at the far post to nod the ball over the line for his first goal of the season.

It was no more than City deserved for their second half showing but the Magpies could have been level almost immediately.

Jamal Fyfield sent in an inch-perfect free kick which found sub Ivaylo Dimitrou free in the six yard box but he headed straight at Bastock.

The last action of the game saw Beecroft and Fisher combine to cross for Lindie but he was unable to keep his header down and the ball flew over the bar.

St Albans City: Bastock; Fisher, Peters, Everitt (c), Smith; Beecroft, Poku, Shields (Quilter 85), Roberts (Cohen 61); Lindie, Hakim (Sullivan 73).

Subs not used: Magwood, Dedman.

Maidenhead United: Tardiff; Rose (Bradshaw 83), Nisbet, Saroya, Fyfield; Smith (Brown 68), Bezhadi, Quamina, Collins; Wall, Knight (Dimitrou 68).

Subs not used: Ochoa, Carter.

Referee: Paul Forrester (Luton)

Att: 194

Man of the Match: Solomon Shields

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter