‘Victorious sponge’ runs virtual London Marathon around St Albans
- Credit: Archant
Runners put their best feet forward this weekend by taking part in the virtual London Marathon.
Anna Bassil, 41, rose to the challenge of running 26.2 miles around St Albans, donning a cake costume as part of this year’s one-of-a-kind event.
Her baking-based extravaganza raised over £6,000 for Save the Children.
In far from baking temperatures, Anna battled wind and rain on Sunday but says that fundraising helped her find the motivation to continue.
She said: “the weather was challenging but I have been inspired by the work that Save the Children is doing to support children during the COVID-19 pandemic so decided to risk a soggy bottom.
You may also want to watch:
“After months of training, the virtual race was a piece of cake!”
Visit fundraising page at www.justgiving.com/fundraising/annabassilmarathon or see The St Albans Cake page on Facebook. All donations are matched by GlaxoSmithKline.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 6 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public