Verulam pupils are reaching for the top thanks to new climbing wall
ACTIVE pupils at a secondary school in St Albans now have a new climbing wall to explore thanks to the efforts of their deputy head. The gym at Verulam School on Brampton Road was transformed into an indoor climbing frame by covering two of the walls with
ACTIVE pupils at a secondary school in St Albans now have a new climbing wall to explore thanks to the efforts of their deputy head.
The gym at Verulam School on Brampton Road was transformed into an indoor climbing frame by covering two of the walls with foot-holes and installing a free-standing bouldering room for low-level climbing.
The project was launched by deputy head teacher Mike Toley, who was inspired by school trips to climbing walls at outdoor centres. Having secured funding from the PTA, the climbing wall was up and running within weeks and is now open to all pupils every lunch time.
Verulam asked Paul Cammack, president of the Union of International Mountain Leaders Associations (UMLA), to officially open the wall a couple of weeks ago and Mike, who has been at the school for 10 years, said that Paul was very impressed with the wall.
You may also want to watch:
He added: "Verulam School is getting young people involved in climbing and Paul really respected that. Climbing's a fantastic sport and the pupils are attracted to it because they think it's riskier than the sport they usually do. Hopefully we can incorporate the wall into PE lessons soon.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district