Ver Valley Society marks 40 years in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A 200-strong group which devotes its time and resources to maintaining and protecting the River Ver is celebrating its 40th anniversary.
The Ver Valley Society is holding a brief AGM and presentation tomorrow, October 25, in St Albans.
This year’s guest speaker is Jennifer Gilbert from Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust, who will be explaining how the Panshanger Country Park and Nature Reserve was created from old gravel workings in the Mimram Valley near Hertford.
The Herts Advertiser revealed last month that Segro is pushing ahead with its proposed railfreight terminal development at Park Street, and plan to hold negotiations to buy the old Radlett aerodrome from the county council. The firm has also put forward plans to St Albans district council to create a country park around the depot.
Floodplain land along the Ver from Sopwell Mill to Moor Mill will be involved, so the meeting is an opportunity to find out just how a country park is created and managed in practice.
The Ver Valley Society was formed four decades ago to try to create a linear walk along the length of the Ver from its confluence with the Colne at Bricket Wood to the source near Kensworth.
However, it later widened its activities to the conservation and enhancement of the local chalk stream, in particular working with water companies to reduce abstraction so the river flowed throughout the year.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 5 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 6 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 7 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
• There are now eight circular walks signposted from the Ver as well as the original linear trail, with beautifully illustrated trail guides which can be downloaded from www.riverver.co.uk
• The AGM and 40th anniversary meeting at St Michael’s parish centre, St Michael’s St in St Albans, starts at 7.30 pm. The meeting is open to non-members and there is adequate parking in Verulamium Museum car park.