Ver Valley Society marks 40 years in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
A 200-strong group which devotes its time and resources to maintaining and protecting the River Ver is celebrating its 40th anniversary.
The Ver Valley Society is holding a brief AGM and presentation tomorrow, October 25, in St Albans.
This year’s guest speaker is Jennifer Gilbert from Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust, who will be explaining how the Panshanger Country Park and Nature Reserve was created from old gravel workings in the Mimram Valley near Hertford.
The Herts Advertiser revealed last month that Segro is pushing ahead with its proposed railfreight terminal development at Park Street, and plan to hold negotiations to buy the old Radlett aerodrome from the county council. The firm has also put forward plans to St Albans district council to create a country park around the depot.
Floodplain land along the Ver from Sopwell Mill to Moor Mill will be involved, so the meeting is an opportunity to find out just how a country park is created and managed in practice.
You may also want to watch:
The Ver Valley Society was formed four decades ago to try to create a linear walk along the length of the Ver from its confluence with the Colne at Bricket Wood to the source near Kensworth.
However, it later widened its activities to the conservation and enhancement of the local chalk stream, in particular working with water companies to reduce abstraction so the river flowed throughout the year.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
• There are now eight circular walks signposted from the Ver as well as the original linear trail, with beautifully illustrated trail guides which can be downloaded from www.riverver.co.uk
• The AGM and 40th anniversary meeting at St Michael’s parish centre, St Michael’s St in St Albans, starts at 7.30 pm. The meeting is open to non-members and there is adequate parking in Verulamium Museum car park.