Veolia issues warning of potential drought for Hertfordshire
A DROUGHT warning has been issued by Veolia Water as low rainfall continues to take its toll on water levels in the South East of England.
The potential for a drought has increased due to a second consecutive dry autumn and winter – seasons crucial to the refill cycle of the company’s water supplies.
Veolia Water’s Water Resources Manager, Mike Pocock, said: “The last 18 months have been exceptionally dry with rainfall patterns consistent to those seen during times of drought.
“This autumn and winter has only had 60 per cent of normal rainfall to replenish our water supplies. This is further compounded by only 65 per cent over the same period during the previous year so we really are seeing challenging times.”
He went on: “Even with the wettest weather over the next few months we will not see conditions improve hugely for the spring, and that’s why we want to ask our customers to help us prepare now for a dry summer next year and avoid possible restrictions.”
You may also want to watch:
Veolia Water Central takes 60 per cent of its water supply from underground aquifers with the remaining 40 per cent of supplies coming from surface water sources. It supplies the whole of Hertfordshire.
But the water company continues to keep leakage under control with levels now at an all-time low.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
Mike Pocock added: “We’re currently on track to meet the leakage target set by our regulator, Ofwat. However, we are still very keen for our customers to continue to report leaks. Even more so in the colder weather, a time when we tend to experience more bursts.”