Vandals Start Blaze in St Albans Clothes Store
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store yesterday (Thursday) night. Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store yesterday (Thursday) night.
Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
A St Albans firefighter explained that a plastic seat in the disabled changing room cubicle inside the store had been set alight.
Luckily, there were no combustible items nearby and the firefighter warned that the blaze could have been far worse if there had been.
Police were called to the scene and have since launched an investigation into the incident, which they are treating as criminal damage.
A spokesperson said the culprits entered the store, which is open until 9pm at present, and walked into the changing rooms at the rear before fleeing the scene on starting the blaze.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 9 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
Anyone with information about the incident should call 0845 3300 222 quoting crime reference number F1/09/5040.