Vandals set fire to St Albans Matalan changing room
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week. Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week.
Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
A St Albans firefighter explained that a plastic seat in the disabled changing room cubicle inside the store had been set alight.
Luckily, there were no combustible items nearby and the firefighter warned that the blaze could have been far worse if there had been.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called to the scene and have since launched an investigation into the incident, which they are treating as criminal damage.
A spokesperson said the culprits entered the store, which is open until 9pm at present, and walked into the changing rooms at the rear before fleeing the scene on starting the blaze.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
Anyone with information about the incident should call 0845 3300 222 quoting crime reference number F1/09/5040.