Vandals set fire to St Albans Matalan changing room
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week. Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week.
Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
A St Albans firefighter explained that a plastic seat in the disabled changing room cubicle inside the store had been set alight.
Luckily, there were no combustible items nearby and the firefighter warned that the blaze could have been far worse if there had been.
Police were called to the scene and have since launched an investigation into the incident, which they are treating as criminal damage.
A spokesperson said the culprits entered the store, which is open until 9pm at present, and walked into the changing rooms at the rear before fleeing the scene on starting the blaze.
- 1 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
- 2 Harpenden residents hit back at Green Belt homes bid
- 3 Woman in her 70s victim of St Albans 'distraction theft'
- 4 Dog owner avoids jail after hitting pet so hard that wooden pole snaps
- 5 Local NHS111 service provider to handle minor injuries at St Albans City Hospital
- 6 Day of fundraising for No Floor No More campaign
- 7 St Albans Post Office branch re-opening after three years
- 8 Village prepares for return of Scarecrow Festival after three years
- 9 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 10 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
Anyone with information about the incident should call 0845 3300 222 quoting crime reference number F1/09/5040.