Vandals set fire to St Albans Matalan changing room
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week. Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week.
Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
A St Albans firefighter explained that a plastic seat in the disabled changing room cubicle inside the store had been set alight.
Luckily, there were no combustible items nearby and the firefighter warned that the blaze could have been far worse if there had been.
You may also want to watch:
Police were called to the scene and have since launched an investigation into the incident, which they are treating as criminal damage.
A spokesperson said the culprits entered the store, which is open until 9pm at present, and walked into the changing rooms at the rear before fleeing the scene on starting the blaze.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 4 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 8 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 9 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 10 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
Anyone with information about the incident should call 0845 3300 222 quoting crime reference number F1/09/5040.