Vandals set fire to St Albans Matalan changing room
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week. Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a
VANDALS set fire to a changing room cubicle in a large St Albans clothes store last week.
Firefighters were called to Matalan in the retail park off Griffiths Way at around 8pm last Thursday, but quick-thinking staff had already put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher.
A St Albans firefighter explained that a plastic seat in the disabled changing room cubicle inside the store had been set alight.
Luckily, there were no combustible items nearby and the firefighter warned that the blaze could have been far worse if there had been.
Police were called to the scene and have since launched an investigation into the incident, which they are treating as criminal damage.
A spokesperson said the culprits entered the store, which is open until 9pm at present, and walked into the changing rooms at the rear before fleeing the scene on starting the blaze.
- 1 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 4 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 5 'Don't touch my hair!' - tackling hair discrimination against black youngsters
- 6 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 7 Property Spotlight: A striking modern apartment in St Albans
- 8 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 10 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
Anyone with information about the incident should call 0845 3300 222 quoting crime reference number F1/09/5040.