Van driver taken to hospital in life-threatening condition after collision in Markyate

Herts Police are seeking information following a serious collision in Markyate on Thursday November

Herts Police are seeking information following a serious collision in Markyate on Thursday November 3. Photo courtesy of Twitter/@HertsFRSControl - Credit: Twitter/@HertsFRSControl

A van driver was air-lifted to hospital in a life-threatening condition late last night (Thursday) after a serious collision with a truck and trailer.

At about 9.20pm a large red heavy goods vehicle (HGV) pulling a trailer collided with a white Ford Connect Van on the A5 in Markyate, close to the junction with London Road.

The driver of the van, a man in his 40s, had to be airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, where he remains in a critical condition.

Four fire crews, from Markyate, Redbourn, Harpenden and St Albans (Rescue Support), responded to the emergency, as the van driver was trapped and had to be cut free from the vehicle.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust said that crews attended the man for about an hour and a half, because he was trapped and had to be stabilised before being flown to hospital. As a result, he arrived at Addenbrooke’s at 11.19pm.

He had multiple injuries, including to his pelvis, and was taken by the East Anglian Air Ambulance.

The truck driver, a man in his 30s, was not injured, and has been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He is currently in police custody.

Most Read

PC Andy Ralph, of the Road Crash Investigation Team, said: “I am appealing to anyone who may have witnessed this collision to please get in touch as soon as possible.

“I’d also like to speak to anyone who may have seen the HGV in the area during the evening before the collision happened. Any information you provide could help us to piece together the circumstances of this incident.”

The road was closed in both directions while emergency services dealt with the incident, but has since reopened.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police via non-emergency number 101.