Van driver dies after collision in Markyate: police appeal for information
- Credit: Debbie White
A van driver has died after being airlifted to hospital in a life-threatening condition late last Thursday night (3) following a serious collision with a truck and trailer.
The accident happened at about 9.20pm when a large red heavy goods vehicle (HGV) pulling a trailer collided with a white Ford Connect Van on the A5 in Markyate, close to the junction with London Road.
The driver of the van, a 44-year-old man from Dunstable, suffered critical injuries and was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge where he died on Saturday (5).
Four fire crews were called to the scene as the van driver was trapped and had to be cut free from the vehicle. He suffered multiple injuries and was stabilised by ambulance crews before being flown to Addenbrooke’s by the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
The truck driver, a man in his 30s, was not injured, and was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He is on police bail until December 17.
You may also want to watch:
PC Andy Ralph, of the Road Crash Investigation Team, said: “I am appealing to anyone who may have witnessed this collision to please get in touch as soon as possible. “I’d also like to speak to anyone who may have seen the HGV in the area during the evening before the collision happened. Any information you provide could help us to piece together the circumstances of this incident.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on the non-emergency number 101.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly