Van driver dies after collision in Markyate: police appeal for information
- Credit: Debbie White
A van driver has died after being airlifted to hospital in a life-threatening condition late last Thursday night (3) following a serious collision with a truck and trailer.
The accident happened at about 9.20pm when a large red heavy goods vehicle (HGV) pulling a trailer collided with a white Ford Connect Van on the A5 in Markyate, close to the junction with London Road.
The driver of the van, a 44-year-old man from Dunstable, suffered critical injuries and was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge where he died on Saturday (5).
Four fire crews were called to the scene as the van driver was trapped and had to be cut free from the vehicle. He suffered multiple injuries and was stabilised by ambulance crews before being flown to Addenbrooke’s by the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
The truck driver, a man in his 30s, was not injured, and was arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. He is on police bail until December 17.
You may also want to watch:
PC Andy Ralph, of the Road Crash Investigation Team, said: “I am appealing to anyone who may have witnessed this collision to please get in touch as soon as possible. “I’d also like to speak to anyone who may have seen the HGV in the area during the evening before the collision happened. Any information you provide could help us to piece together the circumstances of this incident.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on the non-emergency number 101.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 6 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images