UPDATE: Wheathampstead pub to stay closed for “some time” after blaze
- Credit: Archant
A 15th Century pub in Wheathampstead will remain closed for “some time” after flames tore through the building last Tuesday.
The Swan, in High Street, was forced to shut when a blaze broke out around 6am in the bedroom and spread to the roof resulting in the rescue of four people and a parrot.
According to a spokesperson for the leased pub, which is Grade II listed, the cost of the damage is still being calculated and it could be a while before repair work is complete.
Elaine Beckett, communications and compliance manager at Spirit Pub Company, said: “The pub is currently closed and we are in the process of estimating overall damage and repairs.
“The site has listed building status so it is likely that the closure will be for some time whilst we progress with insurance and then repair the damage to bring the pub back to the community.”
You may also want to watch:
The current licensees were in the process of selling their lease, which they still plan to going ahead with although that could now be subject to delays.
A fire investigation found the cause of the blaze to be accidental and the building has been deemed safe.
- 1 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 4 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 7 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 8 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'