UPDATE: Man found dead at scene of fire in St Albans

PUBLISHED: 16:47 06 October 2014 | UPDATED: 16:47 06 October 2014

Archant

An investigation in to the death of a 72-year-old man at the scene of a fire in St Albans suggests that a cigarette could have been the cause.

Emergency services were called at 7.15pm on Friday (3), where he was found dead in the bedroom of a ground floor flat in Cyrils Way.

The fire was out before the emergency services arrived, but firefighters found the flat heavily smoke-logged and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Assistant chief fire officer Doug Robinson said: “It’s always terrible when, despite our best efforts, someone loses their life in a fire and I’d like to offer my condolences to this gentleman’s family and friends.

“While the investigation is in its early stages, the indications are that a discarded cigarette might have been the cause.”

Three fire engines, an ambulance and four police cars attended the scene.

A Herts Police spokeswoman said: “The fire is not being treated as suspicious.”

Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service recommends that everyone should make sure their home has a smoke alarm, test it regularly and plan an escape route in case of fire.

Fire crews and volunteers will be in the area over the next few days providing fire safety advice and home fire safety checks.

Fire safety advice is also available on their website at www.hertsdirect.org/fire where you can also book a free home fire safety check.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser