UPDATE: Man found dead at scene of fire in St Albans
- Credit: Archant
An investigation in to the death of a 72-year-old man at the scene of a fire in St Albans suggests that a cigarette could have been the cause.
Emergency services were called at 7.15pm on Friday (3), where he was found dead in the bedroom of a ground floor flat in Cyrils Way.
The fire was out before the emergency services arrived, but firefighters found the flat heavily smoke-logged and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Assistant chief fire officer Doug Robinson said: “It’s always terrible when, despite our best efforts, someone loses their life in a fire and I’d like to offer my condolences to this gentleman’s family and friends.
“While the investigation is in its early stages, the indications are that a discarded cigarette might have been the cause.”
Three fire engines, an ambulance and four police cars attended the scene.
A Herts Police spokeswoman said: “The fire is not being treated as suspicious.”
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 4 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 5 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 6 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 7 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service recommends that everyone should make sure their home has a smoke alarm, test it regularly and plan an escape route in case of fire.
Fire crews and volunteers will be in the area over the next few days providing fire safety advice and home fire safety checks.
Fire safety advice is also available on their website at www.hertsdirect.org/fire where you can also book a free home fire safety check.