UPDATE: Air Ambulance called after car ploughs through Park Street playground
- Credit: Archant
A MAN who died after his car ploughed through a Park Street playground and into a railway embankment on Monday (29) has been identified by police.
Graham Phillips, of Kings Langley, passed away after his blue Mitsubishi Shogun left the road in Park Street Lane and crashed.
The 51-year-old’s family described him as a “best loved father, brother and son” and “the greatest friend anyone could ever know”.
They added he was loved and respected by all who knew him and will be dearly missed.
Emergency services and the Herts Air Ambulance were called just after 12.30pm when the accident happened, but sadly Graham died at the scene.
A man who was passing through Park Street at the time said: “I just heard a bang and looked up.
“There was a woman in the park running and a couple of kids, one in the swings and one on the roundabout. She was a bit shaken up.”
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 10 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
An eyewitness said she was thankful the 4x4 did not go the other way off the road as it would have hit her house which is directly opposite the playground.
Another Park Street resident added it was the worst accident they had seen on the street.
East of England Ambulance Service Trust spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “Paramedics and air ambulance crews worked extremely hard to treat and stabilise the man but after everyone’s best efforts, he was pronounced dead at the scene.”
The case has been passed on to the coroners office for further investigation.