Unextinguished coals lead to St Albans fire

Fire engine

Fire engine - Credit: Archant

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to check their barbecue coals are cool before throwing them away following a St Albans bush blaze this weekend.

Crews arrived in Highfield Park Drive just after 9pm on Saturday, July 13, after a resident disposed of hot coals over their fence.

Watch Manager John Hudnott said: “Every year we get it. People think they’re out and people put them in their garage to use them again, or put them in their bins and the bins set on fire.

“If you are in any doubt whatsoever just put them in a bucket of water before disposing of them.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter