Unextinguished coals lead to St Albans fire

PUBLISHED: 10:16 15 July 2013 | UPDATED: 10:16 15 July 2013

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to check their barbecue coals are cool before throwing them away following a St Albans bush blaze this weekend.

Crews arrived in Highfield Park Drive just after 9pm on Saturday, July 13, after a resident disposed of hot coals over their fence.

Watch Manager John Hudnott said: “Every year we get it. People think they’re out and people put them in their garage to use them again, or put them in their bins and the bins set on fire.

“If you are in any doubt whatsoever just put them in a bucket of water before disposing of them.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser