Two women jailed for stealing purses in St Albans, Harpenden and Watford
- Credit: Archant
Thieves who pickpocketed purses from shoppers in St Albans, Harpenden and Watford have been sentenced to prison.
Viorica Calescu, 44, and Simona-Carmen Barabas, 42, both of Chester Close in Luton, were arrested for purse-dipping in February and March this year.
They were jointly charged with stealing a purse from Boots in St Peter’s Street, St Albans, on March 17, stealing a purse from a coat in the back office of JoJo Maman Bebe in Church Green, Harpenden on March 7, stealing a purse from Poundland in Watford on February 28, and stealing a £400 mobile phone from a woman’s pocket in M&S in Watford.
Calescu was additionally charged with stealing a purse from a woman in Sumpter Yard, St Albans on February 16, and handling stolen goods in relation to receiving a stolen bank card.
Appearing at Hatfield Remand Court on Saturday, March 25 , Calescu was sentenced to 58 weeks imprisonment and Barabas was sentenced to 40 weeks. They were both also ordered to pay a £115 victim surcharge.
You may also want to watch:
Marin Tudor, 38, who had been wanted since 2014 for failing to appear at Highbury Magistrates Court for theft, was also found at the Chester Close address.
Neighbourhood sergeant Jordon Fox said: “Catching purse-dippers is very difficult as victims often don’t realise their purses have been stolen until much later, so we have limited descriptions and times.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
- 10 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
“However, on this occasion, we were able to obtain excellent CCTV. We also had a partial registration number plate and with excellent detective police work PCs Shaun Woods and Iffie Iqbal were able to trace and arrest Calescu and Barabas.”