Two women and baby escape from blaze

Two women and a baby managed to escape unhurt from a fire at their London Colney flat. The blaze, which broke out just before 3am this morning (Thursday), almost went undetected because the ground floor flat had not been fitted with a smoke alarm. Neighb

Two women and a baby managed to escape unhurt from a fire at their London Colney flat.

The blaze, which broke out just before 3am this morning (Thursday), almost went undetected because the ground floor flat had not been fitted with a smoke alarm.

Neighbours called St Albans fire service when they smelt smoke and three fire engines answered the 999 call. The firefighters, all of whom used special breathing apparatus, spent just over an hour extinguishing the fire and ventilating the room with pressure fans.

Residents in neighbouring flats were also evacuated as a precautionary measure. The cause of the fire was accidental.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter